Re: [opensuse] Compartmentalization for list message management
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 19:21:21 -0400
On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Carlos E. R.
On 2017-06-24 00:51, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/23/2017 03:36 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
My 'machines' are a PC and a pile of mobile devices. The crap mail readers
on
the mobile devices are my problem. Clouding them doesn't help.

Ah, but it does. ("Cloud" can be yours or theirs, that's not the point.
Don't get sidetracked.)

Centralized filtering, sorting, spam-catching, plonking and tagging for all
MUAs - good ones
or crap ones, is one of the big advantages of centralized imap. Who wants
to put all those
rules into a finicky phone?

And google's capabilities are very good for that even if you NEVER read your
mail at the web browser.

When I looked at it, gmail sorted mail using labels, but not into
different folders. Has this changed, or is there some trick?

It still does that, but for instance when I receive a list email I
have the filter rule remove the inbox label and add a opensuse label.

Then with a IMAP based client I can pull down the opensuse label as a
folder. In fact that always happens. From IMAPs perspective labels
are folders.

The only time it gets confusing is gmail allows a single email to have
multiple labels. It is easy to end up with duplicate emails in your
IMAP client.

I don't know how to resolve that as it has been a few years since I
worked with Thunderbird/Gmail.

Greg