Re: [opensuse] Re: KDE locks up on 42.2
On 06/23/2017 03:05 PM, James Knott wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this? It happens at least every day or two.

On 17/06/17 11:27 AM, James Knott wrote:
I've noticed that my desktop frequently locks up recently. I can only
get going agian by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace a couple of times and
logging back in. Is this a new "feature"?

Are you sure you are up to date on KDE updates?
This use to be common, but its been months since this has happened.

You can usually do Alt-F2, then type into the little window:
killall plasmashell & kstart plasmashell

You usually don't lose any work in progress.

This has been going on since 2013. There are many long bug reports on this.

Some attribute it to a transparent window popped up by a program that
subsequently crashed, leaving the window hanging around capturing
keystrokes and mouse clicks.

Others attribute it to sddm. (I know I switched to lightdm and these problems
went away, but that was on a different distro.

I keep up with KDE changes, (or as many as opensuse sends my way) and haven't
seen a occurrence of this for a long time.