Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble
On 06/20/2017 12:28 PM, Paul Groves wrote:
How would I check this? It must record on the drive somewhere surely?

It might be the result of the self diagnostic tests.
If cleaning (per manufacturer directions) doesn't fix it, the heads
probably need replacement. Check Vendor's website.
Maybe just reach for your checkbook.

All my knowledge of tape drives is 10ish years old. I've reached
the area of guesswork here. (I fought them long and hard since
the Netware 2.x era).

Upshot:
If you can't trust this drive, you certainly don't want to keep it.