Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble

On 20/06/17 19:58, John Andersen wrote:
Do these tapes have a Use-Cycle management feature that causes them to
intentionally fail a life-expectancy test?
As far as I am aware no, the tapes work in other drives fine.

How would I check a tape cartridge for this?
If the same tape works fine in another drive it may be dirty heads in the drive
where it fails.
Even though I have put several cleaning tapes through?

Does anyone know the procedure to clean the heads manually? I have used alcohol on VHS tape heads before would that work?
It can also indicate the Tape Read or Write Head in the drive has reached end of
recommended life.
How would I check this? It must record on the drive somewhere surely?