Re: [opensuse] Re: Off Topic: using reply-to
On 19/06/17 11:42 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 19/06/17 15:50, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 19/06/17 05:56 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Way back in some previous century (or perhaps a galaxy far away, my memory
isn't
reliable in that regard) there was a version of Thunderbird that didn't.

Yes, reply to list was an addition at some point.

Does anyone recall when?

It's in thunderbird 38.7.0.

And yes, I will upgrade - as soon as I'm confident my computer won't
mess up the upgrade :-(

So, Full Disclosure Time

what is your machine? What chip/revision? How much memory?

What level of the OS are you running? Are yo still on 11.x? 12.x? 13.x? Or
have you LEAPed?

What kernel are you running?
I presume you are running konsole under KDE.
What version of KDE?
of konsole

RPM is good for reporting on what software you have :-)

(And as for people not upgrading, some people have learning difficulties
and cannot cope with change that well. I'm dreading the inevitable
fallout with my wife when this machine DOES get upgraded...)

The nice thing about so much of Linux, Thunderbird, Firefox, Open/libreoffice is
that, unlike Microsoft and Windows and Office, the UI stays pretty much the same
across releases. Yes, you have bug fixes, yes yu have enhancements (like the
ability to reply-to-list that was added to Thunderbird back when), but for the
most part it stays the same.

if you make a few not very strenuous precautions, such as having /home and /srv
on separate partitions and not reformatting them with an upgrade so that all
your per user settings and all your web stuff is unchanged, and taking backups
of any part of /etc config files you've altered (sudoers, for example, the
password/group files, others), so that they can be restored after the upgrade,
then its quite painless.

I recall a friend who ran a linux-variant on a VM on a big IBM engine. The
users were used to the very disruptive IBM upgrades and those that also used the
Linux were, just as you are, apprehensive about the linux upgrade. He did the
upgrade over the weekend, nonetheless, and expected a barrage of complaints come
Monday morning. It didn't happen. No-one noticed. It was over a month before
anyone noticed anything.

I'm not saying that j. random upgrade will always be painless. I've seen them
go wrong, I've had them go wrong. But they went wrong for me becuase I tried
taking short cuts, didn't save config, reformated or failed to format, didn't
make backups ... didn't think it through and prepare a check list to make sure I
hadn't missed anything.

Back up your /etc/
There are part of /var that might need backing up, things to do with crontabs,
perhaps thing to do with Postfix, or with your domain management.

Make a list, Check it three times. Leave it out on your desk, take it to be.
You'll do a "oh, yes, I forgot that, I'd better add it" a few times over the
next few days. (I usually remember stuff in the shower and can't write it
down.)

UNLESS YOU PREPARE AN UPGRADE WILL NOT BE JUST DISRUPTIVE, IT WILL BE
DESTRUCTIVE!