Re: [opensuse] Re: Off Topic: using reply-to
On 18/06/17 09:01 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
The REAL point is that you don't have to be forced to check every
message you type to ensure that it is going to the right destination.
When I click on the Reply icon I expect that the msg will be delivered
as a private msg because this is what Reply is designed to do.

I've spent a lot of time telling many people that ..
Context is Everything
and still people don't get it.

If you're on a list, the natural repose is that you reply to the list; why else
subscribe to the list?

But the RFCs make the point that its individuals who make up the list and you
might want to reply to the individual, so there are two buttons: 'reply-to' and
'reply-to-list'.

Except ...

Some list management sites, YahooGroups, GoogleGroups and SourceForge Or at
leas the list I'm on) that I subscribe to, though there may be others, send
email where the 'reply-to' goes to the list , not the individual. Their list
management software does not supply the necessary list identification/response
tags in the header for there to be the separate 'reply-to' & 'reply-to-list'
buttons enable that we are familiar with on this list.

The point I'm making is that not all lists follow the same protocols about
replying. Different people interpret that the reply function means. Some
reason that if you're on a list then you must be replying to something on the
list, and if not, then you'll go to extraordinary lengths to make it clear who
you are replying to. heck, you might even be -- shock horror -- forwarding or
archiving the message!

Yes, you *should* check.
There have been many novels written about (physical) letters that get put in the
wrong envelopes, mis-addressed. There no shortage of horror stories about
business setting where the 'reply all' rather then than the 'reply' buton was
accidentally pressed.

Software checks are one thing.
Most mistakes come from humans.
That has always been the case, and it doesn't seem to change.