Re: [opensuse] konsole
On 18/06/17 10:30 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
Just our of interests, why do you "su" in one of the exiting user shells
rather
than "ctl-shift-T" and create a new root shell tab?
Because I never thought of doing it? Actually, from what people have
said in this thread, I think there are two very good reasons for not
doing it. Firstly, because I don't want to be hassled for the root
password every time I log in. And secondly, because I don't want to
leave a root shell lying around for anybody to have access to if I'm not
at the computer.

I'm probably a lot more paranoid in these areas than you for reasons it's not
worth going into yet again.

But my first point is

WHY DON'T YOU EXPERIMENT?

My second is that none of this is permananet

If you "su" within a user tab, when you're done, you "ctl-d" oe type 'exit" and
the root privilidges go away.

If you Ctl-Shit-T to get a root shell, you don't magically get a pre-authorized
root shell, you still have to enter password just as you do when "su" within a
user tab. And when you're done, the same "ctl-d" makes it go away.

Its no different, but its a clean new tab.

If you don't want to be hassled for passwords then perhaps you should look at
setting up "sudo" to do that.

There are other ways but they are more esoteric and require a better "under the
hood" understanding of the intricacies of the authentication mechanisms and if
you get it wring you're going to find yourself locked out of you system
altogether.

Let me also mention that I have konsole configured so that it starts up with the
same as my previous session, but that doesn't mean that authentication is
already dune.

My 'regular' tabs start with "bash -l" so i have to enter my GPG-agent
pass-phrases for each. My root shell is there asking for a password.

The restored root tab asks for the password.

Unlike you I don't believe that somehow bypassing the root password to access
root privileges is a Good Thing. The tab is there. If and when, which is not
every day, I need a root shell, it is there.

I've tried, Patrick has tried, to get over the idea of a root login being
different from a change in the effective UID with a simplistic "su".