Re: [opensuse] Again, trying to find a suitable video editor.
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 13:03:52 +0200 (CEST)
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, I asked on the ffmpeg mail list. The idea seems to be to use a
video viewer, such as xine, and write down the cutpoints in paper,
then compose your command line to ffmpeg by hand.

But it seems an almost dead mail list, anyhow.

I keep thinking about the relative ease with which one could accomplish
these kinds of edits 'back in the day' with the right (albeit
expensive) analog equipment. :) I think a good start would be to write
a script which reads a simple text input file, e.g.

- - - - - 8< - - - - - simple text input file - - - - - >8 - - - - -
### Source ###
# Source path and filename, e.g. /home/user/docs/videos/myvideo.mp4

### Target ###
# Target path and filename or directory for 'slices', e.g.
# /external-usb/slicedvideo.mp4 or /external-usb/slices

### Slices ###
# Create one new line with a value pair for each desired 'slice' using
# hh:mm:ss format, e.g.
# 01:59:00 02:00:00 'slices' one minute from the top of the 2nd hour:
# cut-out-time cut-in-time
# Inverse operation? 'yes' or 'no' ('yes' = keep the slices,
# concatenate them into a single file and toss the rest)

# Save 'slices' as clips? 'yes' or 'no' ('yes' disables concatenation)

The script reads these inputs and generates the appropriate 'one liner.'

Of course, the options supported by this system can be expanded to
accommodate different needs. Geez! I'll bet you could publish this to
github and it could become famous like youtube-dl :)