[opensuse] Re: Off Topic: using reply-to
On 18/06/17 07:28 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-18 13:22, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 17/06/17 10:12 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
PS But I have a question: why did you send the above to me as a private
message in the first instance knowing full well that I could not
response to you in private because you put the return address as "Reply
to opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx"?

There is no such thing as a single root cause in most event and there wasn't
here.

The 'reply to' is a suggestion from Linda Walsh -- search the archives - to
try
and get around the other, which is accidentally hitting on 'reply to' rather
than 'reply to list', which is what happens here, and what happens, judging
by

You should disable that.

It causes people that hit "reply to" to instead send a public response.
Happened to me and I was banned.

This is the other side of the argument that the list should be configured to so
that replies go to the list not the poster, that people 'naturally' hit "reply
to", so the list should be configured that way and 'all other lists are like
that" and the openSUSE list is deviant.

We've had that argument here before and its got us nowhere.
Linda's suggestion of using the 'reply to', configured specifically for this
list, which is easy to do in Thunderbird, at least lets mistakes such as the
one I made, and I'm sure others make too from the evidence, converge back.

When my intent is private, as those who have been involved with me will know, I
either use a different address (easy enough when you own a domain) or manually
take out the 'reply to' and often add "OFF LIST" to the subject line.

If you are unable to alter the "To ", unable to edit the subject line, then you
are using a very deficient mailer.

It would be nice to have a set-up, a list, a mail system, that is really smart,
really resilient, that can handle people pressing 'reply' rather than 'reply to
list', or even *shock horror* 'reply all'.

But we don't.

Would a system that only had the 'reply to' button, get rid of having both that
and the 'reply to list' make life easier? It would be like other lists where
the default is to reply to the list, but it makes replying to individuals more
difficult.

Regardless; this is what it is and personally I think Linda's suggestion was a
good one. She may be a maverick in many ways, not least of all about booting
systems and using initrd, but she's pretty smart.