Re: [opensuse] can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2
On 06/17/2017 08:15 AM, George from the tribe wrote:
On 06/16/2017 05:32 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:25:45 -0300
Rejaine Monteiro <rejaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's not so easy. We have hundreds of users already quite habituated
with kde. Will it be the only plausible solution? There is no other
way.?

and

This is certainly a security policy. I came here to ask for some help
just because I do not know where I change this damn policy !!

I'm sorry; I didn't intend to annoy you. But you didn't provide much
information; it's being dragged out, one drop at a time.

I tested multiple users on different machines. Where I have opensuse
13.1 or 13.2, everything is working fine with root or common user.
But the problem is only occurring on machines that have been upgraded
to opensuse 42.2.

PERMISSION_SECURITY = easy local

I do not think it's a KDE bug, because with 'root' everything works
fine (the usb stick is mounted via KDE normally) The problem is only
with ordinary user (it gives the error that there is no permission
for the user to mount the device)

We don't know whether it is a security bug, or a KDE bug. We can't rule
either in, or out. So people are suggesting trying a different desktop
since we know that works for us. Nobody who uses KDE has so far
commented as far as I know, which surprises me because there are (or
used to be) a lot of KDE users here.

I am a KDE user, though I do tend to complain about it. I would describe my relationship with KDE as a "troubled marriage". We are getting counseling (many on this list are my counselors in this relationship), and KDE is gracious enough to not get annoyed when I sometimes flirt with other partners, such as Gnome and LXDE.

Be that as it may, when I plug in a usb stick, it does not mount automatically, but a dialog pops up offering me a chance to open the stick in dolphin. If I click on that option, then the stick is automatically mounted in /run/media/george/. It does not require root permissions to mount it there.

However, if I choose to mount the stick in /mnt/ on the command line, I have to be root to mount it. Why is that? I don't know. Somewhere KDE has set permissions that allow the desktop to mount your stick in /run/media/<username> without being the root user, but if you mount it in /mnt/, then you have to be the root user.

On your system, Rejaine, apparently there is something messed up with the permissions, that should be set in such a way that your desktop is allowed to mount a usb stick without being root. I think this is a different kind of setting than file ownership, because my directory /run/media/george has an ownership of root:root, as so:

george@tribeDellbig:/run/media> ls -l
total 0
drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 40 Jun 17 07:56 george

If file ownership were the issue, the desktop would not mount my usb sticks in this directory without me being root.

Now I notice that there is a plus sign '+' after the permissions string in that directory listing. Maybe that has something to do with it? My /mnt/ directory does not have any such plus sign.

In any case, it seems that what you need to know is where your system configuration has a setting that gives permission for the desktop to mount a usb stick in /run/media/<username>/ without being root. If we know that, then the setting can be changed and your system, with your users, can probably be fixed.

I have no idea where that setting might be - perhaps someone here might know?

And upon further investigation, I believe the plus sign is the likely culprit. Apparently that is an Access Control List designation, or ACL, and it sets permissions for anything beyond that directory; i.e. media that is mounted in that directory. So I would be interested to know what your permission string looks like for your /run/media/<username> directory.

Maybe you can run the command
> ls -l /run/media/

in the directories of a few of the users on your system, and post the results here, so we can see if the ACL is set properly for that?

--
George
Box: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB