Re: [opensuse] NetworkManager-wait-online.service (9.486s)
On 06/12/2017 07:57 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/12/2017 05:26 PM, John Andersen wrote:
The service NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes 9.486s, which more than
doubles
my boot time. Network target can not start until that wait-on-line
completes.

Why does this take so long. The machine is connected via cat5 to a gigabit
network.
None of my other distos even have this service.

I recall out discussion a while back in the thread:

"[opensuse] Re: Leap 42.2 - why does wicked take 39 seconds to get a dhcp
address?" Where L A Walsh added:

<quote>

That is weird. I can't see why it might do that -- like it is
waiting for 25 seconds to see if other hosts might claim a
collision, but why so long?
... Ahhh...

Found in sample file
/usr/share/doc/packages/wicked/samples/wicked/eth0-dhcp.xml
<link-detection>
<require-link />
<timeout>10</timeout>
</link-detection>
and
<ipv4:dhcp>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<acquire-timeout>15</acquire-timeout>
</ipv4:dhcp>
----

</quote>

That 10 second timeout is really close to the 9.486?

I whacked that and so now improvement. It didn't look too specific
to the issue anyway. so I set it back.

If you do something like
systemd-analyze plot >plot.svg && firefox --new-window plot.svg

you will see everybody waits on that NetworkManager-wait-online.service.