Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 06/12/2017 03:06 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-12 14:14, George from the tribe wrote:

Sure enough, I am running kernel 4.11, but I have packages for multiple
kernels installed, and the update packages that zypper is saying it is
going to install are not even matching to the kernel I am using.

But the official version for your distribution is 4.4.70. Ie, it is what
comes from the update repository.

If you have kernel 4.11 from a non official source, it is your problem
to keep it and its toolchain updated.

Maybe this is contributing to why this system seems so unstable when I
am running KDE?

Maybe.

Any ideas on why these multiple kernel packages are installed, and
possibly, how to fix? I assumed that when updates have been made in the
past, the dependencies features should have removed old packages. I only
use zypper up to update my system.

But you told your system to keep 4.4.

As far as I know, I don't remember ever telling my system to keep older kernel packages when I installed the new kernel. I had to install the new kernel from the kernel:stable repository right from the very beginning, because my wireless card wouldn't work at the time with the standard kernel from the update repository.

I didn't have the kernel:stable repository enabled and refreshing when I started to run that update, which gave me that strange conflict that I wanted to know about (so I started this thread). So, now I enabled and refreshed the kernel:stable repository, and it is no longer trying to install those 2 kernel packages, but is going with all the kernel updates from the kernel:stable repository. I will run that update and see what happens. I have a backup in case everything goes badly.

--
George
Box: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB