[opensuse] Install a network dongle driver/module properly
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 22:18:10 +0100
Hello,

After a discussion on this list, I have ordered a 5GHz WiFi USB dongle
- only to fing it is actually based on MT7610, not RTL8811AU.

I have, however, found a driver at
https://github.com/ulli-kroll/mt7610u and the driver was built
successfully. But I have a weird problem.

According to the readme, to install the driver, I just need to do:

sudo insmod mt7610u.ko

The command was successful and a wlan1 interface has appeared in the
iwconfig output (with only "Ralink STA" showing for it). But YaST does
not list the device in "Network Settings".

I am not sure how to do the installation properly. (This is probably
not about firmware, as there was a sudo make installfw step too).

I need to make this module load at startup (ideally, also when the
device is inserted - but as this is a desktop machine, I am happy
enough to keep the device in permanently). And I need to configure it
in YaST.

There is the Add button in the YaST device list. But it requires the
name of the module - so I presume I need to put mt7610u.ko in the
right place. I am also not sure at all whether this is the correct
next step, anyway.

So what to I do now?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik