Re: [opensuse] PC fails to resume after suspend sometimes
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 11:56:29 -0700
John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/08/2017 07:09 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:03:32 +0200

On 2017-06-08 13:58, Dave Howorth wrote:

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Or can
anybody tell me how to start to debug this?

Not on Leap.

I could investigate some suspends problems with pmutils, but not
with systemd.

However... suspend on desktops is little tested, IMO. It is better
to use hibernate (to disk). In your case, I would try hybrid
mode.

Thanks. Hmm, seemed likely to me that there were more moving parts
to go wrong in hibernating to disk ...

I know very little about power management, I just use the XFCE Pwer
Manager GUI. There's no 'hybrid' offered there?

Why suspend at all. Why not just lock the screen, and of course
blank/power off the screen? You 80% of the power savings with less
wear and tear. (Ok, I pulled that 80% number straight out of my ass,
but you get my point).

Because I don't think it's anywhere near 80%. The screen blanks to an
unpowered state after five minutes lack of use anyway. It's the power
the PC draws I want to save. I live in a passivhaus, so it's a
noticeable fraction of my power draw.

Did you go out of your way to send all messages to /var/log?

No, how would I do that?

Does journalctl -e show any different messages?

No. Pretty much the same thing but with less helpful timestamps and no
way in the YaST viewer to copy them to paste in the email :(