Re: [opensuse] Hpet issues again
On 06/07/2017 09:21 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/07/2017 07:13 PM, John Andersen wrote:
What would cause such a thing?

This looks like an actual bug in the resume (or sleep) code:

nul pointer dereference at ~00001

Yikes. That's way down at the bottom of the system reserved memory range. It
looks like something is getting passed as a value (1 or some uninitialized
value) where an address was expected and then whatever variable holds the
value is dereferenced. (essentially evaluating something like *(int *)1; or
(on x86) int a, *b = (int *)a; if(*b){}, or something similar) Something is
off somewhere, by either a level of indirection or is uninitialized
altogether...

The only thing you can do (absent some function name following in journalctl
after the oops) is file a bug with what you describe in your e-mail and
provide what log you were able to find.

I don't have a clue what part of the kernel or X code provides or interfaces
with the sleep/hibernate functions. I'm not even sure your hpet relation is
more a cause or a symptom in this case. Unless the timer code is actually to
blame, it is probably just an innocent bystander.

Hopefully somebody else here knows better and can help narrow down what else
to check or include in the bug report.

Good luck with this one buddy....

I did save the journatctl segment that included all the details, the back trace
and the name of the module involved.

I've put the machine through several suspend / resume cycles since and have not
had any
re-occurrence of the slow down.

However I did notice an Oops this morning which occurred after I open the lid.
The only symptom is in Journalctl, no outward indication that it had happened.
The RIP was in a different module

I think I will run some memory tests and suspend resume sequences and
watch this for a while before I start submitting it.

Also, are there any Official kernels for 42.2 other than 4.4.62-18.6-default?
It seems a tad long in the tooth.