Re: [opensuse] i586 TW
On 02/06/17 01:40 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 06/02/2017 01:25 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/06/17 01:15 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-02 18:00, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 02/06/2017 à 16:06, Per Jessen a écrit :
jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Of course I know this hardware is becoming rarer with time, but I also
Running 32bit in virtual environments is useful too.

could you elaborate? other than test box?
Because the 32 bit virtual machines use less resources than the 64 bit
ones, with the same software.
:-) Maybe we should resurrect some 16-bit Linux :-)

I'm sure there's some 4 bit Intel 4004 CPUs in service somewhere. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004

Ok, lets cut to the chase:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-bit_architecture

And yes, you could have run a form of "unix" on one of them.

Back in the mid 1970s I worked for a short while with a MIL-SPEC rated 1-bit
CPU. It was supposed to be a 16-bit 'computer" in that it had 16-bit words and
addressing, but the "mill" was 1-bit. It was simple and !FAST!, fast enough to
keep up with the "real" 16-bit processors of that day, the early Intel 8086, the
Zilog Z-8000 and the early Motorola, as well as some fringe machines that
implemented Pascal or FORTH directly. Strictly speaking, it was a 'bit-serial'
machine, the type of architecture that was common in the 1950s when hardware was
!expensive!. Sorry, I can't recall it's name. it was a evaluation unit and in
a couple of days I decided it was a no-go.