Re: [opensuse] i586 TW
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 20:16:09 +0200
jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 2017-06-02 18:00, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 02/06/2017 à 16:06, Per Jessen a écrit :
jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Of course I know this hardware is becoming rarer with time, but I
also

Running 32bit in virtual environments is useful too.

could you elaborate? other than test box?

Because the 32 bit virtual machines use less resources than the 64
bit ones, with the same software.

is that significant? ressources are cheap nowaday. I would like to see
numbers

It is significant. I can run a lot more 32bit processes on a 32bit oS,
than 64bit processes on a 64bit oS on the same hardware. With 32bit,
you get more bang for the buck - under the right circumstances. For
e.g. virtual hosting, you get more xen domUs, but also for a postfix
mailserver running thousands of smtpd processes.
Quite possibly similar for a dovecot machine with thousands of users.

I have some 40 machines running mail servers - typically 4 cores with
HT, 12G memory, it varies. In 32 bit they can easily run 2000 smtpd
processes each, in 64bit a lot less. I haven't actually tried or
measured, just rule of thumb. There have been suggestions to just run
postfix 32bit on 64bit oS, I'll be trying that out at some point, when
we move to Leap in production.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.6°C)