Re: [opensuse] Is 40 dropped packets out of 300,000 high? This is wired cat5 LAN.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 08:31:42 +0200
John Andersen wrote:

On 05/31/2017 09:48 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
By chance, I've rebooted that PC since this discussion started. It
now reports:

netstat -in
Kernel Interface table
Iface MTU Met RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
TX-OVR Flg
eth0 1500 0 88364752 0 21978 0 90246677 0 0
0 BMRU
lo 65536 0 69 0 0 0 69 0 0
0 LRU

So, 22,000 dropped packets out of 88 million.

I Still think something is amiss.

I just checked three machines on my network, all connected by
switches, plus one machine connected directly to my cable modem (not
my internal network) and I have zero drops on any machine (other than
the same two drops I reported yesterday).

These are fairly heavily used machines.
(Except the Raspberry pi connected directly to the cable modem (acting
as my backup wifi access-point - it only sees significant traffic when
I stream video via it).

Maybe your numbers don't yet rise to the level of being an issue, but
in a modern network where you can see both ends with the naked eye,
you shouldn't see any.

My home server, which I rebooted 30 days ago for mains power failure,
has 52 RX-DRPs (out of 6,458,705) zero TX-Drps (out of 14,862,261).

Some more examples -

on machines with uptimes between 30 and 60 days, depending on their
load, I see drop rates of up to 1%. 0.99% on a xen guest, fairly busy.

On a mirror+squid, uptime 45days, I see 7% drop on one interface.

On four xen guests, not the most potent host machine, each has 10-11%
dropped rx packages ...

two webservers, uptime 1600 days and 92 days, 0 rx drops.

The only possible pattern here might be the xen guests which exhibit
somewhat higher rates than physical machines. My guess is that a
machine dropping packages is simply busy - too much incoming traffic or
too busy to process the interrupts.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.8°C)