Re: [opensuse] copying rip'ed CD music to USB stick with vfat
On 2016-12-05 21:33, Per Jessen wrote:
I have a USB stick (thumbnail size) for the car, I rip CD's and copy them
over. Every now and then, the copy will fail with error messages that
appear to be related to the character sets and such:

Ah, yes.

cp: cannot create regular file ‘10 - Fughetta "In dich hab ich gehoffet,
Herr".mp3’: Invalid argument

Apparently '?', ':' and '"' are all causing a problem. I've googled it
some and read a few pages about how to mount the usb stick with the
right codepage and charset .... it's been so long since I've had to
dabble with codepages and charsets ....

no...

Here is what I would like to do -

pop in a CD, crank up k3b, rip the contents into a folder <name-of-cd>,
copy that folder to the usb stick (already mounted).

Well, the trick is to use a ripper program that has as an option
something like "sanitize file names for MsDos".

I don't use k3b. I use "audex", which is also a KDE program. I have
started it now, and to be truthful, I don't see the option there, but I
do copy my music to sticks without problems. Or for my car, to a CD with
mp3.

Ah, I see where it is. Profiles, modify a profile, filenames, create
FAT32 compatible filenames. Which I see it is "off" in the one I try,
but "on" for "extreme quality", the one I used last.

Once the file was created already, you need a program to modify the
names. I have no experience with "detox" which jdd mentions, sounds
interesting.

I see it only on some home repos, like "home:winski".

https://software.opensuse.org/package/detox

+++................
Detox is a utility designed to clean up file names. It replaces
difficult to work with characters, such as spaces, with standard
equivalents. It will also clean up file names with UTF-8 or Latin-1 (or
CP-1252) characters in them.

There is also this package in oss:

packman has
S | Name | Summary | Type

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)