[opensuse] Re: Dynamic DNS service [OT] - setting it up
On Sat 03 Dec 2016 05:04:42 AM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-12-03 04:24, Malcolm wrote:
On Sat 03 Dec 2016 03:32:49 AM CST, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The question still remains, it is asking for two names separated by
a dot. Why? What names?

It doesn't give examples of what it is wanting.

Hi
Your domain, since you don't have one create a fake one temporarily
(carlos.er), then in the admin panel delete it the go to My domains
and delete, then go to My dynDNS and add you hostname eg 'texas'

Apparently it is not needed at all. Just click on the tab to go to "My
dynDNS" instead and enter my machine name. I got it working, with
updates from the command line, but it took me close to an hour to find
out.

This may be trivial to you guys, but me, I have never done anything
similar...

I use dyndns (since my router supports it) with 30 hostnames, was a
few years back on special for 5 years...

30 hostnames? I can't imagine so many. I use only one...

The dyndns service offer lots of different domains so could have one
hostname and 30 different domains... Have 23 hosts at the moment and a
few more to come..

Yes, my router supports 3 services, but in the end I went with this
other one. It is free, no need to remember to refresh the subscription
manually.

I may also setup another one on the router, and compare ;-)

What would happen if I invent a subdomain? It would not query my DNS to
find out, I guess. Or would it? That would be extra service (pay). Then
you could have hundreds of hostnames for the same price.

Have no idea, don't see it working unless it's registered?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.34-33-default