Re: [opensuse] leap422 - where is my core dump?

On 12/02/2016 07:42 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

02.12.2016 00:17, Per Jessen пишет:
Ah okay. The core dumps have ACLs, I guess only the user that
produced
it can read it. I'd still like to understand the reasoning for
making
this the default. It seems utterly superfluous. Why do user
coredumps have to be handled by systemd and stored
under /var/lib/systemd/coredump ?

You apparently never had to hunt for core dump of some obscure program
crashing without knowing which directory this program happened to be
at the time of crash.
Actually, that is exactly why I started this thread. I.e. hunting for a
core dump that was whisked away to some obscure directory.

But the good thing is they _are_not_ away. Instead the old default setting would not write core dumps if CWD is not writable by the user.

In general centralized core files have even more obvious advantages, fore example don't write core files to NFS homes to avoid network/storage/backup load and to not affect user's /home quota. Note core files are usually only useful on the host which dumped them.

I see the point for system apps, but I really think systemd ought to let
_me_ decide where _my_ core dumps go.

Have a look at "cordubla" this combines both local and centralized advantages:
- core files go to /tmp/core/user/ and it creates symlinks in CWD pointing to the dump.
- core files are owned by the user
- ulimit -c is respected

I've made cordubla openSUSE rpms in home:rudi_m. Just install, it should disable the stupid systemd coredumper automatically :)

Having coredumps is one central place is much more convenient. It is
also not something new; e.g. Ubuntu was feeding coredumps to apport
long before systemd.
It's certainly new in openSUSE Leap422.