Re: [opensuse] Dynamic DNS service [OT]
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-01-16 21:27]:

Hi,

Looking at my router, I see the possibility of setting up dynamic DNS
service, for accessing my home from outside. My router offers these:

DynDns.org
TZO
No-IP

Do you have comments on any of those?

I have used no-ip for years. They offered a lifetime dns for us$9 some
years after I first started which would not have advertisements, and
constant heckling to upgrade. I jumped on. Then another couple of years
they told me my service needed to be upgraded to subscription, that the
plan I had was being discontinued. I replied with a copy of my $9
"lifetime" service and told them they had a contract with me they needed
to honor.

After some more banter back and forth, they agreed to provide me another
30 years service at no additional cost. I accepted thinking that things
may change drastically in that time-frame (another 20+ years) and being
already in my late 60's (at that time), I may not have much need then.

Using the configuration on the router would save me from setting up
some daemon in Linux. Should be easier, right? If not, I'm of course
open to other possibilities.

I run a simple daemon script they provided (freely available) and have
only updated it once. Easy to set-up, not difficult at all, prompts for
info and does it's thing.

And my router, cisco/logitech (and several netgears) support dyndns but
not no-ip.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2 Registered Linux User #207535

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo @ http://linuxcounter.net