Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
18.10.2016 00:21, Carlos E. R. пишет:
On 2016-10-17 17:50, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In MsDOS you can try to acquire a lock on the file before backing it up.
If the file is in use, it will fail, so the backup either waits or
continues with another file, and try the locked file later. At the end,
it can produce a list of failed-locked files.

I don't know if that is possible in Linux.

To my knowledge all file level locking is voluntary. ie. user space
apps have to intentionally respect other programs locking a file.

No, there are also kernel locks.

Advisory locks are also kernel locks.

I read something about mandatory
locking, but I don't know how good it is.

File needs to be explicitly marked for allowing mandatory locking so it
won't work in general case. See
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/mandatory-locking.txt.