Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2016-10-17 15:27, jdd wrote:
Le 17/10/2016 à 12:44, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

But I often do backups while the system is live.

but then changing files are probably not usable anyway

Most of them are temporary files used by the desktop and not that
important. All data files are copied as the saved files that exist on
disk. If you worry about a file that is changing at the same time as the
backup is done, then do it twice.

In MsDOS you can try to acquire a lock on the file before backing it up.
If the file is in use, it will fail, so the backup either waits or
continues with another file, and try the locked file later. At the end,
it can produce a list of failed-locked files.

I don't know if that is possible in Linux.

To my knowledge all file level locking is voluntary. ie. user space
apps have to intentionally respect other programs locking a file.

So programs that are designed to work together can leverage file
locking, but a backup program can't implement it with the cooperation
of every other program on the system.

Greg