Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 2016-10-17 15:27, jdd wrote:
Le 17/10/2016 à 12:44, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

But I often do backups while the system is live.

but then changing files are probably not usable anyway

Most of them are temporary files used by the desktop and not that
important. All data files are copied as the saved files that exist on
disk. If you worry about a file that is changing at the same time as the
backup is done, then do it twice.

In MsDOS you can try to acquire a lock on the file before backing it up.
If the file is in use, it will fail, so the backup either waits or
continues with another file, and try the locked file later. At the end,
it can produce a list of failed-locked files.

I don't know if that is possible in Linux.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)