Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 2016-10-17 13:57, David T-G wrote:
Carlos, et al --

...and then Carlos E. R. said...
%
% On 2016-10-17 11:53, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > Just curious... Did you run a checksum on both ends after the copy?
%
% If the source is static and doesn't change, yes, that's a possibility.
%
% But I often do backups while the system is live.

Well, yeah, that could make things more challenging. Of course, then you
don't really know if you got a good copy at all, right? So snapshotting
a mirror or breaking and then re-syncing would probably be a good approach
there.

All of this presumes, of course, that one is worried about integrity,
which should be pretty simple in this day and age, but I have to admit
that I spend more time than I should arguing with my spinning media :-(

Sometimes I do a backup of the offline system, but that means that I
have to boot from something else, then do the backup. This is an
operation that takes hours.

After that, I do more frequent backups (incremental, with rsync), while
online. Yes, of course, some files will be in transient state, but all
work files will be in their saved states.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >