Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 10/9/2016 10:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-10-09 18:58, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

There is something very wrong going on when I use Dolphin to move stuff
to the trash "Recycle Bin" (or sometimes it appears when I use Dolphin
to simply move files from one location to another, i.e. drag and drop)
and/or when I tell Dolphin to empty the trash. Doing so kicks off the
100% CPU usage and I hear the processor cooling fans kick into high
speed. These tasks can take hours or even days to complete (if ever,
some are still going on for over a week now. When I reboot the system,
these tasks are not initially restarted, but if I do something like open
the Recycle Bin to see if the files are still in it (after I told
Dolphin to empty the trash) then these processes again kick off and the
CPU usage goes up to 100%. The two (or more) spawned processes of
interest are file.so and trash.so. However, unlike my original report
and observations, these processes do report very high CPU usage also in
the Process Table tab of KSystemGuard, top, atop, and htop so I am not
100% certain that this is related to the issue I reported - about
something hidden is causing high CPU usage.

Of interest also is doing file moves or deletes from the command line,
i.e. using the mv, rm, and rmdir commands does not cause this high CPU
usage to occur and those commands complete in a reasonable amount of time.
What filesystem?

Oh wow! Interesting question! I just took a look, and well this system has been an evolution since the days of SuSE 10.0. So apparently I have multiple file system types in play. I guess the best way to answer your question is to simply show the output from parted -l

I have never taken the time to figure out what file system type is best or what are the pros and cons of each. So usually just gone with defaults when installing a new OS. I wonder if I should normalize all these, if so which file system to choose, and how would one go about doing so. Could this be the issue, having multiple file system types mounted at the same time is what is causing my system to slow down?

parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD5001AALS-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 53.7GB 53.7GB primary linux-swap(v1) type=82
3 53.7GB 107GB 53.7GB primary ext4 type=83
2 107GB 500GB 393GB primary ext4 type=83

Model: BUFFALO External HDD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.8kB 2000GB 2000GB primary ntfs type=07

Model: ATA WDC WD5000AACS-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 53.7GB 53.7GB primary ext4 boot, type=83
2 53.7GB 161GB 107GB primary ext4 type=83
4 215GB 500GB 285GB extended lba, type=0f
7 215GB 268GB 53.7GB logical ext4 type=83
5 268GB 446GB 177GB logical reiserfs type=83
6 446GB 500GB 54.5GB logical ext3 type=83

Model: ATA ST3320620AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 67.3GB 67.3GB primary ext4 type=83
2 67.3GB 277GB 210GB primary ext3 type=83
3 277GB 320GB 43.0GB primary ext4 boot, type=83

Model: Linux device-mapper (thin-pool) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/docker-8:3-3148282-pool: 107GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 107GB 107GB ext4