Re: [opensuse] System slowdowns
On 2016-10-09 18:58, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

There is something very wrong going on when I use Dolphin to move stuff
to the trash "Recycle Bin" (or sometimes it appears when I use Dolphin
to simply move files from one location to another, i.e. drag and drop)
and/or when I tell Dolphin to empty the trash. Doing so kicks off the
100% CPU usage and I hear the processor cooling fans kick into high
speed. These tasks can take hours or even days to complete (if ever,
some are still going on for over a week now. When I reboot the system,
these tasks are not initially restarted, but if I do something like open
the Recycle Bin to see if the files are still in it (after I told
Dolphin to empty the trash) then these processes again kick off and the
CPU usage goes up to 100%. The two (or more) spawned processes of
interest are file.so and trash.so. However, unlike my original report
and observations, these processes do report very high CPU usage also in
the Process Table tab of KSystemGuard, top, atop, and htop so I am not
100% certain that this is related to the issue I reported - about
something hidden is causing high CPU usage.

Of interest also is doing file moves or deletes from the command line,
i.e. using the mv, rm, and rmdir commands does not cause this high CPU
usage to occur and those commands complete in a reasonable amount of time.

What filesystem?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)