[opensuse] This is FOSS. Expect beta .(was:interesting reading about systemd
On 10/07/2016 04:48 AM, ianseeks wrote:
People should spend more time looking into it rather than just trashing it
for
vague reasons, nothing is perfect or bug free.

While the initial release of systemd was a lot more worked out, a lot more
functional than the initial release of KDE4, the same principle holds.

This is FOSS. This is not IBM or Microsoft[1] where they can pay many
developers, testers or documenters and throw effort to get a completed,
documented, tested product out to start with.

We routinely accept that there are pre-bet, beta, pre-alpha and release
candidate version of such things as the kernel level and other releases.

We accepted the incomplete Linux before version 0.99.
(Well, some of us did.)

Its sad that KDE4 originally came out as what amounted to
pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-beta, but none the less the same cycle of feedback from
users testing to the developers applied.

Oh, wait, not I come to think of it, Microsoft (and others) does in fact release
early candidates to to users for test and feedback. The difference between
Microsoft and the FOSS community, I think, is that the people to whom Microsoft
releases those early evaluation/beta version to (a) have a more professional
attitude and (b) are bound by signed agreements about what they can disclose and
the responsibilities they commit to.

This being FOSS there are not such signed agreements.
A developer who releases software, no matter how tested & documented, leaves
himself/herself open to to public. We've seen how that includes death threats
and threats of rape and dismemberment in various such 'open' communities.
See pint 'a' above.

[1] Well perhaps not so.