Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
  • From: ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 09:48:20 +0100
On Friday, 7 October 2016 10:19:36 BST Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Larry Stotler (larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx) [20161002 22:50]:
systemd to me personally has always seemed to be a solution in search
of a problem.

Thats one of those statements i see where a lot negative and incorrect ideas
have run out, a bit like "its monolithic".

No, the problem was real. SysVinit doesn't know the current state of the
system but rather what it believes the status should be. So a replacement
that does track the state was needed.

The devs behind systemd seem to be trying to take over the linux ecosystem
by proxy.

That's part of the problem. The main reason is that it's head developers
believe their views are the only correct ones and can't be debated. This
alienates people rather quickly.
Its pretty much the same attitude with the kernel but everyone approves of
that, its the systemd devs baby so they call the shots. More people should
read their forums before making judgements. I think its more to do with people
misunderstanding L Poettering and therefore disliking him, most of the time.

Philipp

People should spend more time looking into it rather than just trashing it for
vague reasons, nothing is perfect or bug free.

Ian
--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20161003
Qt: 5.7.0