Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 10/05/2016 05:49 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-10-05 11:16, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 10/04/2016 01:03 PM, John Andersen wrote:

Then you turn around and suggest tar.gz will bit-rot inside of 90 minutes?

Come on Carlos.

Very! Well! Said!, John, although as you say, you're being pedantic, which is
usually something people expect of me :-)

But let me say it more briefly

Look again at my answer to that, consider the emphasis, and then at
Stevens answer.

You said

<quote
I said that /IF/ there is an error that corrupts one byte of a
compressed tar, with most compressors used you lose the entire archive.
</quote>

You seem to miss out on that "one bit" being correctable by CRC

Yes, un-tarz doesn't do that but there are tools that do..
And you never got to my conclusion that perhaps TAR'ing/ziping is not the way to
go given alternatives.

As discussed, one alternative might be a new disk. Whether for backup or
migration (which I've done since I use LVM, but you could use rsync) would be up
to you.

Disks have lifetimes so getting a new disk periodically and migrating is a goo
strategy anyway :-)

I think you're being a bit of an inflexible stick-in-the-mud by refusing to
acknowledge (a) TARZ has CRC and is error correctable using suitable tools and
(b) there are alternatives to achieve your objectives of a newly install OS &
system while preserving your data..

You're obsessing about a particular method while failing to considerer the
overall objectives.
The dictum about alligators in the swamp comes to mind.