Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install

On 10/04/2016 01:34 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I said that /IF/ there is an error that corrupts one byte of a
compressed tar, with most compressors used you lose the entire archive.

And it is for that precise reason that I do not use that method for backing up critical data. Not since I got bit on the ass by it once, which is all it takes for me to never use it again.

Terabyte drives are under US$50 now so cloning a drive is cheap. Daily backups are cheap and fast now days. I certainly remember when they weren't. Etc. But whatever you do, if it's critical data, don't rely on a compressed tar file. Just IMHO, of course. You do whatever you wish.