[opensuse] Re: System slowdowns
John Andersen wrote:
On 10/04/2016 12:22 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
There is a toggle in top to show other threads, I think kernel threads.
Wait a minute [...] Yes, I think it is "H".
It says nothing about kernel threads, and everything it lists has a pid, so not
a kernel thread.
---
All threads on linux have pids as well, as the linux thread model is based on
processes. BTW, kernel processes in "top" are shown in brackets.

I don't believe normal userland tools can monitor the kernel CPU usage.
---

Try "htop" (in package of the same name).
It allows you to separately toggle display on/off of both user and kernel threads

Press "H" to toggle user threads, and "K" to toggle kernel threads. It runs in a terminal window -- pick one that supports color (do any not, these days?). You can configure it how you like it and save the result (much like 'top'). Htop understand keyboard and mouse
input and uses curses to display things. You'll want to stretch the
window out horizontally. Also you'll want to make sure your terminal
is in Unicode mode (unicode_start) if it isn't already, so the graphics
characters in htop display correctly.

Linda