Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 2016-10-04 11:47, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-04 08:14, Per Jessen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On 10/03/2016 11:59 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Reason: a few (or
one) byte error makes the tar unrecoverable.

In reality, Carlos, exactly how many of these have failed for you?

Yes, I have to wonder that too.

It is rare, but it is documented. Media failures are possible, and if
one happens in the middle of a tar.gz you lose it completely.

Sure, but every archiving tool is vulnerable to media and network
failures, tar no more so than any other.

Not tar. The problem is gz.

In those years, I've had a grand total of ZERO tar.gz archives fail.

Ditto.

How many in floppies?

Floppies??

LOL. Yes, the worst media I can think of where I stored archives some
time ago, and where media error in later years were frequent.

Hey, this desktop machine has a floppy drive. I haven't managed to make
it work since I built it up, dunno if hardware problem or kernel problem.

A single error, and the whole archive is lost.

On the other hand, I still have backups made on a hundred floppies in
working order. Made with pctools backup in the 80's. One has one error,
but the restore program successfully regenerates the data with forward
error recovery methods.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)