Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 2016-10-03 18:33, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
I am planning on a clean install (going from 13.1 to 42.2 Beta) on the root
partition, leaving the home partition alone. I'm not doing complete backups
because of limited space on the backup drive. I've room for a single full
backup, both partitions. What is a reliable way?

"cp -a / /media/LinuxBackup/full" is what occurs to me. Is there a better
way?

Two main methods: 1) image full disk backup, good for fast restore from
scratch. I would perhaps use clonezilla for this.

2) file by file backup. I would use rsync for this. Or, if the device is
xfs, there are specific xfs backup/restore tools.

I prefer to use 1 and 2 for the system, and 2 for data. Yes, both. The
paranoid in me wins.

I would not use tar.gz archives. I do not trust them. Reason: a few (or
one) byte error makes the tar unrecoverable. I would prefer a method
like rar, that stores recovery data that allow to recover the archive in
case of media errors - but rar does not support all linux filesystem
attributes, so it is out.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)