Re: [opensuse] Reliable way to backup hard drive before clean install
On 10/03/2016 09:33 AM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
I am planning on a clean install (going from 13.1 to 42.2 Beta) on the root
partition, leaving the home partition alone. I'm not doing complete backups
because of limited space on the backup drive. I've room for a single full
backup, both partitions. What is a reliable way?

"cp -a / /media/LinuxBackup/full" is what occurs to me. Is there a better
way?

TIA,
Jeffrey

That's a big jump, so you are wise to choose a clean install.
Further, you MAY have to repartition if you had too small of a Root Partition
in 13.1.

But assuming no repartitioning problems, I would simply backup the /home
partition
and selected configurations from the /etc directory if you run your own mail
server, web server
media server, and things like Cups etc. Maybe copy all of /etc so some
removeable media
or something.

If the budget will stand it, a spare/new hard drive in a usb disk caddy is nice.
It will serve well in the future for backups as well.

As for what tools to use? That could cause a huge chain of competing
recommendations.
I'd recommend what ever you are familiar with. I still use a package from a long
time ago that allows me to stack compressed backups onto a NAS or a Tape or an
external
hard drive. (Its non-free so I won't mention it here, there are free
equivalences).

The Real Good news is that if you do NOT have to repartition, and /home is
already
a separate partition, your prior planning for this eventuality is likely to make
the whole operation quite painless. Be careful during the install to not let it
format
/home, but to nuke and reformat the other partitions.

When adding users to the system, add them in the same order so that their user
id numbers
match what is already in /home directories.

Get it up and running before you copy over any config files from /etc.
Then do one such copy-over at a time.