Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd

The problem with unexpected (un-)mounts has absolutely nothing to do
with generator or fstab.

Sorry, Andrei, it does.
The naive template generated units (see them in /run/systemd/generator) are
simplistic. You take what you're given. Because they are simplistic they don't
give you the control you want.

If you want different, take the entry out of fstab and write your own mount
file
that does what you want.

Which will have exactly the same problem. Do you ever test what you suggest?

Yes.

I can now manage it using systemctl to mount and unmount.

Hmmm
Well actually I've just run

systemctl stop /run/systemd/generator/home-anton-MyDocuments.mount

and that did the unmount.
And
systemctl status ......
let me see the 'status'.

Actually you don't need the full path, I just show that so you can find where
the uits are so you can read them an see how naive they are.

Now in reality, we get into issues of access control. There are system and per
user versions, and the system disks should be under control of the system and
the user stuff under control of the user.

THE SPECIFIC USER.
Each user can have their own units in '$HOME/.config/systemd/user' and have
control over their own file system. Easily mount when they login, unmount when
they log out.

With fstab you can only have 'user' in the options.

This is not a problem with systemd.
It is doing what it supposed to.

Without leaving user choice of changing it and without even telling
user it will do it. So yes, it is not a bug - it is design decision.
Both design decision and how it is implemented is questionable and
contributes to attitude towards systemd.

No, systemd is quite consistent.
Its preventing arbitrary action.
Its making sure the system is and stays as 'specified'.
If you want things different, change the 'specification'.

Richard, Per and myself have given more than enough to enable that.