Re: [opensuse] 2 newbie questions(version, live dvd)
On 2016-10-03 15:10, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-03 14:04, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-03 13:24, Mohammad Badie Zadegan wrote:
Hi everybody,
1) I recently installed and enjoy opensuse 42.1, why its versioning
number did not continue from 13.x?

Hum. They wanted to renumber because it was a new series. And the
number 42 is kind of "magic" in some geek culture:

The answer to life, the universe and everything - 42. Nothing geek
about that, very mainstream. (says my wife, who does not appreciate
being called a geek).

It was totally unknown to me till explained. It appears to be only
well known by English speakers.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has been translated to more than 30
languages. I assume 42 was not translated :-)

Yes, it has, but it is not that popular on other countries.

For instance, the page I mentioned before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29

has not been translated to any language, except one far east. The guide
to the galaxy is supposed to be an humour book, but humour translates
badly. Specifically, British humour is widely known as impossible to
understand in my country.

Of my circle of friends, only one knew about 42. And that one knows
about everything, so he doesn't count :-P

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >