Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 14:32:05 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-10-03 09:41, Richard Brown wrote:

But in 2016, 5 years after implementation and 4 years after the
official support end date of the last non-systemd openSUSE
distribution?

I'm sorry, that ship has sailed, crossed the ocean, docked, set out
again, circumnavigated the globe, and is going around again

Yes, that is so.

I don't have (big) problems with systemd. I think. In general, I'm
happy. Well, perhaps that if there is a problem I can not edit an
script and solve it. I have to wait for the devs to solve and
distribute it. Ie, little problems are now more difficult to hack or
solve for the administrator.

Can you come up with an example of that, Carlos? I think you're wrong.
systemd has better options than editing the script - a service unit is
easily overridden etc.

Perhaps have an easy to find document, a FAQ, would help: I have this
problem, what do I do? Not a long documentation to study and
comprehend, but something practical and to the point, with actual
examples to copy and use.

Like: How do I start something before/during/after boot/after some
other service. It is a question often asked: this week, I think.

Maybe it exists, but I wouldn't know where.

It's most likely in the man page(s), but I agree they can be a bit long
and not always easy to grok.

What you need to look at are the After, Requires, and Wants directives.

using systemd's more dynamic features, like having services start
only when required, is a dreamy way of optimising your servers

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activated-containers.html

Doesn't xinetd do it?

Yep, it does, based on network events. In one instance, I use it to run
rsyncd, but otherwise my servers run everything all the time.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.5°C)