Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
On 2016-10-03 09:41, Richard Brown wrote:

But in 2016, 5 years after implementation and 4 years after the
official support end date of the last non-systemd openSUSE
distribution?

I'm sorry, that ship has sailed, crossed the ocean, docked, set out
again, circumnavigated the globe, and is going around again

Yes, that is so.

I don't have (big) problems with systemd. I think. In general, I'm
happy. Well, perhaps that if there is a problem I can not edit an script
and solve it. I have to wait for the devs to solve and distribute it.
Ie, little problems are now more difficult to hack or solve for the
administrator.

I am asking you to do take the time to learn about systemd before
considering your opinion on it as complete.

Perhaps have an easy to find document, a FAQ, would help: I have this
problem, what do I do? Not a long documentation to study and comprehend,
but something practical and to the point, with actual examples to copy
and use.

Like: How do I start something before/during/after boot/after some other
service. It is a question often asked: this week, I think.

Maybe it exists, but I wouldn't know where.

This one is good:

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.systemd.html

systemd is downright amazing on servers. Want to make a service that
automatically deletes files in a folder every time they appear? That's
like 3 lines in a systemd unit file, done

Is that in the fAQ? ;-)

using systemd's more dynamic features, like having services start only
when required, is a dreamy way of optimising your servers

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activated-containers.html

Doesn't xinetd do it?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)