Re: [opensuse] interesting reading about systemd
On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It may be that at some time in the future you may need or benefit from some of
the things that systemd can do.

I don't dispute that.

Of course systemd gained
a bad reputation. That we still talk of the disaster that was the release of
KDE4 is indicative of how the negatives stay with us even when the problems
have
been overcome.

I was one of the people who pushed to have KDE3 in 11.1 instead of
dropping it since KDE4 was in such sad shape back then. I haven't
been very active(life kinda gets in the way - kids, overtime, bills,
etc) and don't really do much computer work professionally anymore.

It's not that I'm against systemd(and I wasn't against KDE4 - I just
didn't see any advantage in it and still don't for myself at any
rate). I'm just not sure why the devs are so hell bent on swallowing
up everything(as I noted in my reply to Richard) and taking away
choice.

Heck, I wish I could run firefox decently on my old
laptop(P3/1.2Ghz/1GB RAM). I'm typing on a Core2 laptop now with 3GB
RAM that's 10 years old. Still does everything I need it to do, even
with current software. Why not upgrade? Well, I'm using the last 4x3
Thinkpad they made(T60p - 1600x1200). Shoot, I still use a
slider/keyboard phone that's 4 years old but still LTE(and I have
spares since they don't make them anymore).