Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
On 2016-08-13 00:04, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

and on my machine, see below. local.net is a real domain name, so how it
resolves will be highly implementation dependent. IIRC, Postfix always goes
directly to DNS, ignoring /etc/hosts. I use .local for my LAN with
192.168.x.x addresses. So far it hasn't bit me. At the moment, away from my
home network, .local does not resolve. IIRC, there is a TLD that is reserved
for private networks, maybe .localdomain?

[snip]

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00

It reserves: .local, .localdomain, .domain, .lan, .home, .host, .corp.

However, apparently Apple networks reserve .local for a non-conforming use. I
use .lan (i.e. /etc/HOSTS is viajero.bearhouse.lan on this laptop).

Yes. And it causes problems. Specifically, if you name a Windows Server
Active Directory as something.local, then Linux machines on that network
can not be added to that AD, unless you disable avahi.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >