Re: [opensuse] A puzzle for the weekend
On Saturday 13 August 2016, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 08/12/2016 09:02 PM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
It's on my TODO since years to find something better than .local
but as long as I blacklist any avahi/mDNS, stuff it works.

As regular readers will entice, I won my own domian.
My solution to the above is to have a subdomain "HOME." within that
for which my local machine is the authority.

Yes .home or .lan might be a better choice than .local. So .home
and .lan are widely used by router manufacturers as factory default,
since there is no better choice for such a default.
FYI see paragraph "Name Collision Concerns Impede Delegation" here:
https://icannwiki.com/.home

But IMO the best practice would be to use a subdomain of your real
domain, like .local.company.org, see the first answer plus comments
here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/17255/top-level-domain-domain-suffix-for-private-network

cu,
Rudi