Re: [opensuse] Troubleshooting DHCP server setup?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 21:27:30 +0100
On 9 August 2016 at 20:32, Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I suspect you are using wicked for network managing. Since we have wicked
all interfaces without a connection do not get an ip number on boot.
"on boot" works like "a cable plugin". AFAIK this is not considered a bug,
but a feature.

When the dhcp server is started it fails because it cannot find an
interface with ip number matching your dhcp configuration.

First, your problem shows that the possibility to give an interface
an ip number on boot is important. Maybe one should consider a bug
report against wicked.

Where do I file a bug report against wicked? In opensuse bugzilla or
somewhere else?

Meanwhile you should try another type of network managment: NetworkManager
or networkd.

I do not want to disrupt my wlan0. It broke after some time under
NetworkManager for some reason, but works with wicked. (The computer
is a stationary desktop machine so I had, so far, no need for
NetworkManager's dynamic network selection capability).

So, I need to have something plugged into the eth0 adapter and then
dhcpd will work... but this m,eans I'll have to restart dhcpd manually
after plyuging the thing in. and then hope DHCP still works?

Perhaps there is some way to make wicked (or some other component,
while wicked runs) start/restart dhcpd after detecting a cable
connection and assigning the IP address? Thos would suit me perfectly.

Another alternative would be to install and try networkd, but this
would be a last resort as I don't want any chance to break wlan0.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik