[opensuse] Troubleshooting DHCP server setup?
Hello,

I am running Leap.

I have two network interfaces, eth0 and wlan0. I use wlan0 for my home
LAN which supplies the Internet. I would like to have a DHCP server
for eth0 to provide occasional high-speed wired connections for
FTP/Samba transfers. I do not need to do any NAT, the link is for
local transfers only.

I am trying to use the standard OpenSUSE way. I have installed the
"DHCP and DNS server" package in yast and am trying to condfigure DHCP
in yast. But I get "error occurred while restarting the DHCP daemon".

Here is the log with the apparent reason:

==

cat /var/log/rc.dhcpd.log
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.3.3
Copyright 2004-2015 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and ldap-base-dn were
not specified in the config file
Config file: /etc/dhcpd.conf
Database file: /db/dhcpd.leases
PID file: /var/run/dhcpd.pid
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for eth0 (no IPv4 addresses).
** Ignoring requests on eth0. If this is not what
you want, please write a subnet declaration
in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
to which interface eth0 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

If you think you have received this message due to a bug rather
than a configuration issue please read the section on submitting
bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
before submitting a bug. These pages explain the proper
process and the information we find helpful for debugging..

exiting.
==

I did select eth0 in the DHCP config, and its address is 192.168.4.1,
static, as shown in yast network settings (but for some reason the
address is absent in ifconfig).

Here is the content of /etc/dhcpd.conf:

=
# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
option domain-name "ramendik.local";
ddns-update-style none;
default-lease-time 14400;
ldap-dhcp-server-cn "ramendik.local";
subnet 192.168.4.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.4.2 192.168.4.100;
default-lease-time 14400;
max-lease-time 172800;
}
=

So, apparently a fitting subnet statement exists, but is not applied for eth0.

How can I fix this, and what am I doing wrong with yast?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik