Re: [opensuse] runlevel 3 openSUSE versus Mint 17.3
On 2016-08-08 01:40, Damon Register wrote:
On 07/28/2016 08:29 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The procedure for openSUSE is the same as always. Yes, there are new
methods, but the
old one also works and will work, so most of those old advices will work.
Like sax2? :-)

Ha, good catch. Nope, not sax2. Maybe sax3, but it was not finished :-}

Login there (TTY 1) as root. Type "init 3" and enter. There you are,
graphics mode killed,
you can now install the nvidia driver. Run "startx" to try. Type "init
5" to start graphics mode again. Same
I know about the alternate console but did not know about needing
init 3 to kill the server. I will write that in my "tips to remember"

It is somewhere in the driver preparation instructions.

Notice that if you search "nvidia" on our wiki you will find a link
with the correct instructions.
Read that before asking ;-)
I tried that but either I am doing something wrong or the wiki has issues.

The wiki has issues. :-/

I used google the other day to find the pages for somebody else, I'll
try to find the post. [...] Here:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_troubleshooting
http://users.suse.com/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)