Re: [opensuse] runlevel 3 openSUSE versus Mint 17.3
Damon Register composed on 2016-08-07 20:25 (UTC-0400):

Felix Miata wrote:

Mint is a Debian derivative. I installed both 17 and LMDE 2 Betsy (same OS but

gets confusing. I could be wrong but I got the impression that
mint was derived from Ubuntu which is from Debian. Is that not
correct?

Without Debian, *buntu would not exist. Mint depends on Debian for existence, but indirectly, with *buntu as a pass-through. Debian has quite a few other derivative distros. Debian depends directly on none of them.

What gfxcard is the 960 replacing? If whatever the old one was was using a

it is an ATI that was OEM in an HP computer. It doesn't have much of any
marking on it and since it is no longer in the computer, I don't have
an easy way to check how it was identified. I think it was something like 6250

Likely HD6250. :-)

FOSS driver, then the 960 should have worked automagically, unless the FOSS
driver
for the new (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is
the .deb containing it in Mint; xf86-video-nouveau is the .rpm containing it in
openSUSE) was not already installed.

I bet that might have been the reason it didn't work. I guess I
should have checked for its presence before replacing the old one.
Anyway, the new Nvidia seems to be working ok now with the Nvidia
proprietary driver on the host system. At this point I have no idea
if the problems I am having with Virtualbox guest systems is at all
related. I don't think I mentioned it in my original post but Virtualbox
was the reason I wanted to get a newer and better card because in the
process of experimenting, I began to think the old card wasn't well
supported.

Default behavior on both Debians and openSUSE is there is no configuration
to be done. IOW, gfxcard recognition is supposed to be automagically handled.

Meaning that the new card will be detected and the xserver will
be reconfigured?

Depends on the definition of "configured", and the distro. For quite some years now in most distros, the default manor of configuring Xorg is automagically, that is, without any preconfiguration registered in /etc/X11/xorg.con*. The proprietary NVidia driver is probably the biggest exception to the general rule. Mageia through v5 at least has been a distro that inexplicably includes /etc/X11/xorg.conf apparently by default.

Swapping gfxcards around here is a fairly common occurrence, and simple,
because proprietary video drivers are never used here in any Linux distro.

Where is "here"? your house, SuSE community, linux users in general?

Under my roof there are dozens of functional machines, and hundreds of OS installations.

So you are saying that generally many don't like the proprietary?

Who likes it or not I can't say. Linux does have some vocal purist adherents. I've always found it unnecessary to use non-FOSS drivers with any of my Linux installations. I've probably spent little more than $100 in my lifetime on NVidia hardware and several times that on ATI/AMD. Intel is hard to count because it comes as part of so many motherboards, but over the past decade's new offerings I don't think I've felt compelled in any case to add a PCIe card for performance reasons, but only for testing and QA.

It seems that Mint 17 doesn't yet have systemd so am I correct in

Why do you think that? According to distrowatch.com, Mint has been using

I am certainly not an expert on that but I wonder why they say
that? I "think that" because I read somewhere in one of the
forums that 17 is not yet using systemd.

Among Debian and its derivatives there remains a lot of derision of systemd, besides options. Some versions offer a choice. so it can be hard to say whether any particular one does or doesn't "have" it. According to Distrowatch, which lists for it neither sysvinit nor upstart, Mint has included systemd in all releases 15 & up, after April 2013.

systemd since v15. LMDE 2 uses it, so I have to think distrowatch is
correct about 17.

While it seems that
$ dpkg -l | egrep 'upstart|systemd|sysvinit'
might show some things related to systemd, it might not yet really
be there? Is not the existence of systemctl a key part of having
systemd (I am really new on that so I don't know)? I get
systemctl: command not found

CNF happens here too. *buntu uses upstart. AFAIK neither sysvinit nor systemd are options in *buntu releases of late. Mint 17.3 does have upstart, but on my only installation of it it also has systemd-shim and systemd-services, so it looks like one of the confusing hybrids.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/