Re: [opensuse] Shutdown not powering off machine
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 13:34:40 -0600
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/

Slightly more than midway down is a section "Diagnosing Shutdown Problems"

The gist is "poweroff" does a graceful systemd shutdown, where
"poweroff -f" pretty much hands off a message to the kernel to sync
and poweroff. Therefore if poweroff -f does not work, it's a kernel
problem. If it does work, then there's something holding things up
indefinitely, which could be a systemd bug but it depends on what's
holding things up -since some things have indefinite timeout.

I'm not sure how poweroff -f differs from sysrq+s, sysrq+b. I suppose
you could give those two sysrq's a shot if poweroff -f doesn't work,
but the documentation says if poweroff -f doesn't work it's a kernel
bug.

Chris Murphy