Re: [opensuse] Shutdown not powering off machine
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 13:43:57 +0100
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 07:27:03 BST Anton Aylward wrote:
On 08/04/2016 04:22 AM, ianseeks wrote:
For the last 3 evenings, I’ve ended up with a login prompt instead of the
machine shutting down. I have given it time to power off but no joy, its
always ended up in me pressing the button.

I have a few questions.

1. are you shutting down from the command line or from within one of the
desktops?

From the KDM login screen as always

2. do you know what the shutdown command being used is? what extra
parameters ar4e being given?

No idea, just used the standard settings since i updated to Tumbleweed at
after using opensuse 13.1

In my case i use shutdown from within KDE4.
I can see by using systemsettings what command and parameters are benig
used.

There, I see it is
/sbin/shutdown -h -P now

That's a bit redundant.
Perhaps it needs to be "-H" rather than "-h" ?

What's the opinion of the group?

From man(8) poweroff

-H, --halt
Halt the machine.

-P, --poweroff
Power-off the machine (the default).

-h
Equivalent to --poweroff, unless --halt is specified.

Sorry if I'm being "bloody obvious", but I do get to wonder if the
reality is that despite the supposed default, in absence of "-P" the
machine does not poweroff.

--
Qt: 5.6.1
KDE Frameworks: 5.24.0