[opensuse] What are the recommended reporitories for KDE/Leap 42.1?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 00:51:42 +0930
Hi all. What repositories should I have selected to have a properly working KDE
desktop
in Leap 42.1? Or do I need to go back to 13.2 and start afresh with a clean
install?

What I'm currently seeing:

On first login after boot, often plasma widgets (e.g. the Start menu search
field) and
dialog boxes (e.g. the KDE Wallet password dialog) won't accept any keyboard
input,
despite apparently having the focus. This requires logging out and back in
again to get
things working.

Kmail5 never starts first time - it hangs indefinitely, requiring a "pkill
kmail" followed by
another attempt, which usually then works.

Konsole windows eventually stop responding to keyboard input after having been
open
for a while, necessitating a logout/login to restore keyboard input.

No DTV in Kaffeine (or any other DTV app) - black screen only, despite the DTV
tuner
card apparently correctly tuning and the correct program details being
displayed on the
OSD.

A space bar that can't keep up with my typing speed, resulting in
wordsthatfrequentlyrunon (requiring frequent back-spaces to correct - at this
rate I'll
wear out my backspace key).

Updates that frequently result in unsolvable dependency conflicts.

KDE-related repositories that I currently have selected:

KDE Framework 5
OpenSuSE-Leap-42.1-Update
KDE:Extra
KDE Applications
KDE Unstable Extra (mainly for kaffeine5, which isn't working properly either)
Qt 5.7

When I first upgraded to 42.1, the only DE could get (sort of) working was
Gnome.
Without the above repositories, I could not even get close to a working KDE
desktop
after upgrading from 13.2.

Oh - I also lost all of my desktop customisations and many plasma widgets that
I had
come to rely on that obviously haven't been ported to KF5/Plasma 5. That makes
it even
more tempting to revert. Nevertheless, it feels like I'm almost there with
KF5/Plasma5,
as long as I can figure out how to get everything that does work, working
properly.

Or do I just blow the whole lot away and go to 42.2 as a fresh install?

Thanks in advance,
Rodney.